Netflix is set to continue its journey into exploring controversial topics with a brand-new documentary on the case of missing Madeleine McCann.
The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann dropped on Friday (March 15) and has already been slammed by Madeleine’s parents.
Kate and Gerry McCann have refused to participate in the eight-part crime series and have said they do not see how it will ‘help the search’ for their missing daughter and that it could hinder the investigation.
In their only statement about the docu-series, the McCanns said: “We are aware that Netflix are planning to screen a documentary in March 2019 about Madeleine’s disappearance.
“The production company told us that they were making the documentary and asked us to participate.
“We did not see – and still do not see – how this programme will help the search for Madeleine and, particularly given there is an active police investigation, it could potentially hinder it.
“Consequently, our views and preferences are not reflected in the programme. We will not be making any further statements or giving interviews regarding this programme.”
Madeleine disappeared in May 2007, while on holiday with her family in Praia da Luz, a resort town in the Algarve, Portugal.
She was left, along with her two-year-old twin siblings, to sleep in their apartment while Gerry and Kate ate with friends in a restaurant nearby.
The children were checked on periodically until Madeleine’s mum discovered that she had gone missing at around 10pm.
Since then a global search has been underway, in what has become one of the most talked about cases in recent history.
Originally set to air last year, the project was delayed and will now air just before the 12-year anniversary of her disappearance.
Someone close to producers said, “We would have welcomed the opportunity of working with the McCanns directly but they informed us they couldn’t and wouldn’t consider taking part while a police investigation is into their daughter’s abduction is ongoing.”