Features

Stop The Presses: You’ve Been Cooking Potato Waffles Completely Wrong

They’re waffly versatile

Birds Eye Potato Waffle

Sorry if this post ‘waffles’ on a bit much, but did you know you’ve been cooking potato waffles wrong this entire time? Whether you want a hungover treat or a quick fix dinner, nothing beats a Birds Eye potato waffle. While most of us stick those little golden grids of glory in the oven, it turns out this isn’t the way Captain Birds Eye wants you to do it.

It’s hard to believe Birds Eye introduced the humble potato waffle into our lives back in 1981. Although some suggest you have them as part of your breakfast — nestled next to sausage, egg, and bacon — I’ve always thought of the potato waffle as an evening dish. There’s something about the fond memories of turkey dinosaurs, potato waffles, and a small tidal wave of ketchup that screams childhood.

Birds Eye

Birds Eye has reportedly undergone 100 hours of rigorous testing to reveal the best way to cook your potato grids. According to the Daily Star, the frozen food giant is delivering its final verdict on how the fan-favourite product should be cooked.

When customers asked whether it’s safe to cook potato waffles in a toaster, the company popped 3,000 of them in for a grilling during testing that lasted 103 hours. Birds Eye will now add ‘toasting’ to its packaging as a suitable cooking method for potato waffles.


To get the perfect pots, simply set your toaster to a medium/high setting and wait for them to pop up. Put them in for a second round, and voila — you’re done. Be warned though, you should let them cool unless you want to scorch your insides.

Image result for birds eye potato waffles
Birds Eye

Steve Challouma, Marketing Director at Birds Eye, said: “We know there has been a lot of confusion and debate on this way of cooking our Original Potato Waffles so we decided to put it to the test.

“After days of rigorous ‘toasting’, we’re happy to confirm it is safe to cook our waffles this way and it doesn’t compromise on taste either – you can still expect the same delicious taste that is crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle!”

Birds Eye took the testing one step further and asked its followers on Twitter if they knew this life hack. Over 65% were left with their jaws on the floor and claimed they had no idea, while we guess some of the other 35% are probably lying so they can look good around their mates.

Up there with the revelation you can cook cheese on toast in a toaster — we’ll probably do an article on that too — the potato waffle wonder is something that should really go in an “I was today years old” thread.

Well, cooking potato waffles in a toaster definitely beats the hassle of having to turn the oven on, wait for it to heat up, and the recommended 15-minute cooking time. Just think, you can probably eat a whole pack of potato waffles in that time.

[Featured Image: Birds Eye]



Send this to a friend