News

Turns Out Floyd Mayweather Won’t Be Fighting On New Year’s Eve After All

He says he was “derailed” by the event.

mayweather

Fight fans were sent into a confused frenzy on Monday when the news surfaced that Floyd Mayweather would be coming out of retirement for a special New Year’s eve event.

The former five-weight world champion had reportedly signed a deal with a mixed martial arts company that would see him fight in a one-off event in Japan.

He was set to fight Japan’s Nasukawa, 20, who competes in the RIZIN Fighting Federation, in both kickboxing and mixed martial arts.

However Floyd has now spoken out about the news though and denied that he had ever agreed to partake in the event.

The boxer addressed the ‘agreement’ on Instagram after returning from a “disappointing trip to Tokyo” and saying he was “blindsided” by the event.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regard to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the “Rizen Fighting Federation”. What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of “One Entertainment” was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee. This exhibition was previously arranged as a “Special Bout” purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval. For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on

“Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regard to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the “Rizen Fighting Federation”. What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of “One Entertainment” was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee. This exhibition was previously arranged as a “Special Bout” purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval. For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.”

Despite Mayweather’s insistence that he had never agreed to the event in the format that surfaced at the beginning of the week, a number of journalists have contradicted his claims.

Mayweather has previously discussed a potential matchup with UFC’s Khabib Nurmagomedov, who recently defeated Conor McGregor in a controversial contest. Rumours have also grown that he could step back into the ring with Manny Pacquiao, who he has already fought and defeated in 2015.

Send this to a friend