Chester Zoo is currently looking for someone to tend to their elephants. In what seems like the best job ever, you’d be responsible for ensuring that the mammals enjoy the highest-quality of life possible.
The salary for the role is an impressive (and very specific) £21,356.63. You would be required to work 10 days out of 14 – which suggests some weekend work. But who doesn’t want to spend their weekend hanging out with some of the most impressive animals on the planet?
On the website, Chester Zoo says: “We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Keeper to join us on the Elephant section. For the right candidate, this post offers a fantastic opportunity to work with a breeding family unit of Asian elephants,
“Chester Zoo aims to set a benchmark for animal welfare and the successful candidate must be able to deliver an excellent level of animal husbandry, care and welfare for the assigned mammals; ensuring that all enclosures and facilities are maintained to the highest possible standards.”
If you’re just about ready to hand in your notice at your current role, hold your horses. Or should that be elephants? You also need to have some experience and qualifications.
They ask for:
• A HND or degree level qualification in a zoological related science or equivalent experience
• Proven experience in the care and management of large mammal species including Giraffe, Rhinos or Elephants, in a zoo or safari park setting, as well as the highest standards of exhibitry
• Outstanding observational skills with excellent attention to detail
• Experience implementing environmental enrichment
• Experience of working within strict Safe Working PracticesCompetency in the use of computers and basic software packages, including ZIMS software, would be advantageous for this role in order to maintain accurate records.
If you think you match the criteria Chester Zoo is looking for, you can apply on their website here.
However, the closing date for applications is August 18, so you need to get a move on.